How can we improve the iOS app?

Guide to importing ssh keys via iTunes

I would like to import my ssh keys to my phone, but I have no idea how to use iTunes for this. I have tried asking my good friend Google for help on this topic, but it yielded no results.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • shierly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When building up an iOS application, it's important that your application must have a decent execution. Your clients expect it, and it will hurt your audits if your application seems inert or moderate. Be that as it may, because of the constraints of the iOS device this can now and then be very difficult to get working very right. Get better suggestions about the iPad related issue visit here https://www.ipadsupportnumber.com/

• René commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For ssh (openSsh) users, if you already have access from your PC then on a shell copy ~/.ssh/id_rsa (or probably any of the other private keys, id_ecdsa, id_dsa) to anywhere and rename it as id_rsa.txt.

With iTunes 12.7.5.9 select the iPad, then File Sharing, Termius, and add the file you renamed (id_rsa.txt in my example). Sync the iPad (not sure when the actual file transfer occurs).

Finally on the iPad (iOS 11.4 in my case), as previously said, open Termius, go to Keychain, add a new key by using import, and select the one you added in iTunes.

Back to Termius' host configuration, add to your host the private key.

In case you didn't have previous access to the remote (server), for example because now you are using the rsa private key, and before you used another, then you need to add the public key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys (taking care that its all in one line, only different keys are separated by newline).

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Swayze's instructions worked for me.

1) Upload private key (even just temporarily) to Google Drive. It should have a file extension, either "txt", "pem", "key" or "ppk".
    2) On iOS, open Google Drive, select the key.
    3) Select "Open in" > "Save to Files" > "On My iPhone" > "Terminus"
    4) Then open "Terminus", go to the "Keychain", click "+" > "New Key" > "Import" and select the key.

• Swayze commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found the following works:

Select the private key (I had mine saved via Google Drive) > Save to Files > On My iPhone > Termius.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since iOS 11, Apple has removed the Apps from iTunes. Hence your guide to importing ssh keys via iTunes has become obsolete for all users of iOS 11 and the latest iTunes release. Apparenty, Apple wants iOS users to manage their apps via the App Store app, but this rises the important question: Now, how do I upload the key to the Terminus app when the described method does not work anymore. Your documentation requires serious updating. Thanks.

• joerg_narr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why TF does serverauditor want the private key of my Ubuntu server? Am I totally getting this whole SSh-thing wrong? I thought it is the idea of SSH that I logon to my server using a private (server) side key and a public (client) side key?

• joerg_narr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why TF does serverauditor want the private key of my Ubuntu server? Am I totally getting this whole SSh-thing wrong? I thought it is the idea of SSH that I logon to my server using a private (server) side key and a public (client) side key?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just having the same identical problem. I tried renaming "id_rsa" first as "id_rsa.pem", then as "id_rsa.txt", validating them with the passphrase. In both cases the import apparently succeeded, but then logins keep asking for a password. Of course the file that I imported is the private key. The server has the public key in authorized_keys, and I know that I can login without a password from a computer.

• Aaron Heuser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was having the same issue and solved it by adding the public key (on my mac) to the file ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

• Fabiano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's exactly what I did. I tried to import my private key to the app. Also note that the app won't recognize the file id_rsa, I need to save it with txt extension first. Even so it didn't worked. I would like to hear from anyone else who use Mac if it could work , cause it didn't for me.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base