How can we improve the iOS client?

Run app in background

Can you implement location services to allow the app to stay live in the background for longer than a few min?

There are many apps out there that make use of location services (like Microsoft onedrive) to allow them to stay active in the background

349 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MikeluytenMikeluyten shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We are aware that enabling location services would let us run the app in background.

However, this would violate AppStore rules and may potentially lead to the ban of developer account.

Another drawback is that this would increase battery usage.

We are constantly looking for a legal way to run our app in background.

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Maybe if you create your own protocol for sending geographic and other sensor information to the host, your use of Location Services would be justified. It may not be practical, but it's a nice little novelty feature and would definitely bring a smile to my face.

• NickNick commented  · 

The latest mosh connection or whatever it's called works great. Essentially does this. I'll be tabbed out to another ios app for 10 or 15 minutes and new Termius connections are still alive and well. I've wanted this feature for a while.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Connections also tend to close even within a few seconds when switching apps – which is especially annoying when you try to remotely fix e.g. your web server and need to cross-check with Safari. iSSH never had this problem – is this a change in recent iOS versions or could this behavior be easily fixed in Termius?

• AnonymusAnonymus commented  · 

Can I run Terminus with GarageBand which runs in the backround at my command, as I'm very busy with my music songwriting files?

• Phil HaggerPhil Hagger commented  · 

I agree, brilliant terminal app but constant timeouts is frustrating!

• ZiyaZiya commented  · 

Hi
        How can I increase time out limit?
        Ziya

• Anonymous commented  · 

vSSH Lite can do it. What is their trick?

• Icho TolotIcho Tolot commented  · 

Blame Apple. They have no chance to implement this. This is the backside of the medal called "long battery life". Apps can't even update their files in background for more than a few seconds. Let's face it... iDevices are toys and not meant for serious work. :)

• MikeluytenMikeluyten commented  · 

You could legitimately use the location for last login location, and potentially for passing to the ssh host in a snippet. So when I log into my server, I could make it log my location of where im ssh'ing in from?

Also apps like Onedrive and Minechat actively advertise that they use Location services only to enable it to stay open in the background.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Yep, agree totally. It's a great program and everything, but the constant timeouts is so annoying.

• Anonymous commented  · 

The ssh connection to the server is disconnected too quickly. Is it possible to send an keep alive message to the server automatically? I have done this on my Mac so I know it's possible.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Disclaimer: not affiliated with crystalnix.

• Anonymous commented  · 

As a developer, I can say it's almost impossible for apps to be active for more than 3 mins in background, except for some kinds of apps, including voip, navigation, music players etc. SSH clients and remote control apps are not included. Any attempt of circumventing, your app will be rejected by Apple in review progress. This is an Apple restriction. You can always file a bug report to Apple at bugreport.apple.com.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I agree, this feature will be very helpful.

• Mike WolffMike Wolff commented  · 

I would love to see keep-alive implemented, as most firewalls flow tables time out a flow due to inactivity after 300 seconds, trashing the session. This would be a greatly useful enhancement to me (as well as others) doing things like compiling code where you walk away for more than 300 seconds. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  · 

If it is possible, it would be excellent if this feature is implemented. It is really annoying that I stay in the app to keep my forwarded ports active!

• Anonymous commented  · 

+1 this feature request from me also

omgplzthx

• Anonymous commented  · 

iOS hibernates background apps after 3 minutes. Nothing can be done about it.

Most apps have some sort of "cloud backends" to give you the impression that they're still active (through notifications).

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base