The 'Unable to write public key file' error may occur when one connects to a host on an iOS / iPadOS device after restoring a backup or direct data transfer between two devices. The error will occur if the key that was used to connect to that host was not restored or transferred. Keys, passwords and passphrases are not included to / can't be restored from unsupported backup types, and they can't be transferred between two devices of different type.
After you restore an unsupported backup or transfer data between two devices of not the same type, the following fields will be empty: 'Password', 'Passphrase' and 'Private' (part of a key entry).
This problem can be fixed by readding the keys, passwords and passphrases or, if you've been a subscriber, by reloading your data from the servers of Termius. Reloading data means deleting all locally stored data and downloading the data from the cloud, i.e. data that was synchronized.
Important: If some of your data hasn't been synchronized, you'll lose it if you reload data. For example, it may happen if you've canceled your subscription and some changes made since then haven't been synced.
To reload the data, tap your e-mail displayed on the main app screen and then tap Reload data.
An encrypted backup made on a computer should let someone transfer all data to the same type of device, that is between two iPhones or iPads. If that backup is restored on a device of a different type, keys, passwords and passphrases won't be restored. A non-encrypted backup made on a computer doesn't include this data.
An iCloud backup made on a phone will let someone transfer all data to the same device. If that backup is restored on a different device, keys, passwords and passphrases won't be restored.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- I can't use the iOS app in the background
- I can't use Termius for Android in the background
- I don't see the local terminal option in the desktop app
- I see double / none of my characters in a Telnet session
- My App Store subscription is not active
- I can't map Caps Lock
- I can't import an ed25519-sk or ecdsa-sk FIDO2 key on Windows
- I can't connect using an ed25519-sk or ecdsa-sk FIDO2 key
- I did not receive the email for approving login from a new IP address
- I can't enter characters (pipe, backslash, etc.) using the Option key