If you can’t type certain characters (e.g., # @ | \) with the Option / Alt Key in the terminal, follow the steps below.
- In Preferences, open the Terminal page.
- In the Terminal settings section, disable Use Option as Meta key.
- Open Settings.
- In the Keyboard section, turn off Use Option as Meta key.
This solution allows you to enter characters using Option +, but will prevent you from using any Meta + shortcuts in CLI apps that support them. It's not yet possible to map Meta to any other key other than Option.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Some symbols in the terminal are rendered as question marks, how can I fix it?
- I get a "Couldn't load reCAPTCHA" error
- I can't use the iOS app in the background
- I can't log in or synchronize data
- I can't connect to a local device on iPhone
- I can't use Termius for Android in the background
- I can't find the local terminal option in the desktop app
- I see double / none of my characters in a Telnet session
- My App Store subscription is not active
- I can't map Caps Lock