If you need to use the Option / Alt key to enter certain characters (e.g. # @ | \) and you can't do so in the terminal, follow the steps below.
- In Preferences, open the Terminal page.
- In the Terminal settings section, disable Use Option as Meta key.
- Open Settings.
- In the Keyboard section, turn off Use Option as Meta key.
This solution allows you to enter characters using Option +, but will prevent from using any Meta + shortcuts in CLI apps that support them. It's not yet possible to map Meta to any other key other than Option.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- Cannot import ed25519-sk or ecdsa-sk FIDO2 keys on Windows
- When trying to make a serial connection, I get a 'Permission denied' error
- I signed up with Apple on one device and but can't do it on another one. How to resolve it?
- I can't connect using an ed25519-sk or ecdsa-sk key
- I can't use the iOS app in the background
- I did not receive the email for approving login from a new IP address
- I can't enter characters (pipe, backslash, etc.) using the Option key
- I don't see the local terminal option in the desktop app
- I can't use Termius for Android in the background
- Terminal sharing: Known issues and limitations