If you can’t type certain characters (e.g., # @ | \) with the Option / Alt Key in the terminal, follow the steps below.
- In Preferences, open the Terminal page.
- In the Terminal settings section, disable Use Option as Meta key.
- Open Settings.
- In the Keyboard section, turn off Use Option as Meta key.
This solution allows you to enter characters using Option +, but will prevent you from using any Meta + shortcuts in CLI apps that support them. It's not yet possible to map Meta to any other key other than Option.
Was this article helpful?
58 out of 91 found this helpful
Articles in this section
- Some symbols in the terminal are rendered as question marks, how can I fix it?
- I get a "Couldn't load reCAPTCHA" error
- I can't use the iOS app in the background
- I can't log in or synchronize data
- I can't connect to a local device on iPhone
- I can't use Termius for Android in the background
- I can't find the local terminal option in the desktop app
- I see double / none of my characters in a Telnet session
- My App Store subscription is not active
- I can't map Caps Lock
Please sign in to leave a comment.