If you need to use the Option / Alt key to enter certain characters,(e.g. # @ | \) and you can’t do so in the terminal, follow the steps below.
Please, note that this will allow you to enter characters with Option +, but will prevent from using any Meta + shortcuts in apps that support them. It’s not yet possible to map Meta to any other key other than Option.
- In Preferences choose Terminal.
- Under Terminal settings, disable Use Option as Meta key.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Under the Keyboard section, turn off Use Option as Meta key.
Was this article helpful?
Articles in this section
- My App Store subscription is not active
- I don't see the local terminal option in the desktop app
- I can’t enter characters (pipe, backslash, etc.) using the Option key
- I get the ‘Unable to write public key file’ error
- I get the ‘no route to host’ error message
- Termius keeps asking me to provide a passphrase for my PuTTY key
- I can’t map Caps Lock
- I can't run the iOS app in the background
- I can’t run the Android app in the background
- I get the ‘Your browser is not supported’ message